Wednesday, December 7, 2011 | By: Unknown

{Review} Daughter of Smoke and Bones

Daughter of Smoke and Bones (Daughter of Smoke and Bones #1)
By Laini Taylor
Published: September 27th 2011
Publisher: Little, Brown & CO.
ISBN: 0316134023 (ISBN13: 9780316134026)
Pages: 418
Format: Hardcover
Source: Bought myself
Shelfability: Must read/COVET
Rating: 5 Stars
Around the world, black handprints are appearing on doorways, scorched there by winged strangers who have crept through a slit in the sky.
In a dark and dusty shop, a devil's supply of human teeth grown dangerously low.
And in the tangled lanes of Prague, a young art student is about to be caught up in a brutal otherwordly war.
Meet Karou. She fills her sketchbooks with monsters that may or may not be real; she's prone to disappearing on mysterious "errands"; she speaks many languages--not all of them human; and her bright blue hair actually grows out of her head that color. Who is she? That is the question that haunts her, and she's about to find out.
When one of the strangers--beautiful, haunted Akiva--fixes his fire-colored eyes on her in an alley in Marrakesh, the result is blood and starlight, secrets unveiled, and a star-crossed love whose roots drink deep of a violent past. But will Karou live to regret learning the truth about herself?
My Thoughts


UTTERLY COMPELLING AND MINDBLOWINGLY AWESOMAZING!
As I was reading this book, a lot of things were happening around me (hence the 10 days it took me to read it) and Daughter of Smoke and Bones was my refuge. And what a refuge it was. The book transported me with ever word, make that every letter, to a place of silence and peace. I was amazed and intrigued with Karou, who turned out to be one of my favorite heroines ever. Reading this book was a transcendent experience. It's exactly what a book should be. Laini Taylor embodied the very essence of a great novel.
I found myself, laughing, sighing, crying and even weeping many times while reading the book. At some points I'd be literally moving into my book, trying to get closer as if I might be able to actually see the story from my own eyes.
I connected deeply with every character in the book, not only the main ones. Brimstone was definitely one of my favorite character. And what to say of Akiva... Well the book describes him the best way I could; Perfect.
The mystery surrounding the plot of the novel was obviously very well thought out. I am still wondering if it was more plot or character driven since both were so meticulously thought out and created.
The mythology of Chimeara and Seraphim is now one of my favorites. Taylor created not only one but three wonderful worlds: Human, Seraphim and Chimeara. The stories explaining the war and mythology of the 2 latter races we truly awe-inspiring.
This book not only deserves to be on a shelf of it's own but to have it's cover blown out and hanging over my bed.
To write such a great novel, one must be either insane or a genius.


Final verdict: Deserves it's own Shelf

4 comments:

Kimberly @ Caffeinated Reviewer said...

Great review..i love a book that gives the reader an escape..I am so ordering this :)

Farah said...

Great review. I just got a copy of Daughter of Smoke and Bone. Can't wait to read it!

Jessirae said...

Wow! Awesome review. I own a copy of this book, but I haven't had the time to read it. Your review most def. convinces me to move it up on my TBR pile! :]

ebaker said...

Thanks for the great review! I have this book on my shelf...I need to read it...so many books so little time..

Post a Comment

I'd Love to hear what you think! Each comment makes me smile! So go ahead and comment your heart out! :-)