Friday, December 9, 2011 | By: Unknown

{Review} The Secret Circle by L.J. Smith

The Initiation and The Captive, Part I (The Secret Circle #1-2)
by L.J. Smith
Published: August 1st 2008
Publisher: HarperTeen
ISBN: 0316134023 (ISBN13: 9780316134026)
Pages: 396
Format: Paperback
Source: Bought myself
Shelfability: Read if you have time/Borrow
Rating: 2.5 Stars
The circle's power has lured her home
Forced to move from sunny California to gloomy New England, Cassie longs for her old life. Even so, she feels a strange kinship to a terrifying group of teens who seem to rule her school. Initiated into the coven of witches that's controlled New Salem for hundreds of years, she's drawn into the Secret Circle, a thrill that's both intoxicating and deadly. But when she falls for the mysterious and intriguing Adam, Cassie must choose whether to resist temptation or risk dark forces to get what she wants—even if it means that one wrong move could ultimately destroy her.
My Thoughts:
I'm not one to write negative book reviews. Ever. But as it has been pointed out to me, I can't simply write reviews on books I liked and bypass those I didn't enjoy. Now, if I finished a book, it's because it was good enough to finish. So this review isn't all that negative.
Reading The Secret Circle felt like a chore to me. I wanted to read this book when I heard it would be made into a tv show on the CW. And since I enjoyed The Vampire Diaries (I need to update myself on the series (book not tv)) I assumed this would read easily as well. It didn't.
The characters (even Cassie) fell totally flat for me and the plot felt like a wet blanket (don't ask me where the comparison came from, that's all I could think of). However I loved that it was a little darker than your regular YA. The writing was good also.
There isn't much more I can say save that I like the show better than the book. 
I hope you all liked it more than I did.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I'd Love to hear what you think! Each comment makes me smile! So go ahead and comment your heart out! :-)