Monday, November 7, 2011 | By: Unknown

Book Review: Evernight by Claudia Gray

Evernight by Claudia Gray
(Evernight #1)
Published: February 10th 2009 by HarperTeen 
(first published May 1st 2008)
Pages: 327
Source: Bought myself
Shelfability: To read/Borrow
Rating: 3.5 Stars

From Goodreads:
Bianca wants to escape.
She's been uprooted from her small hometown and enrolled at Evernight Academy, an eerie Gothic boarding school where the students are somehow too perfect: smart, sleek, and almost predatory. Bianca knows she doesn't fit in.
Then she meets Lucas. He's not the "Evernight type" either, and he likes it that way. Lucas ignores the rules, stands up to the snobs, and warns Bianca to be careful—even when it comes to caring about him.
"I couldn't stand it if they took it out on you," he tells Bianca, "and eventually they would."
But the connection between Bianca and Lucas can't be denied. Bianca will risk anything to be with Lucas, but dark secrets are fated to tear them apart . . . and to make Bianca question everything she's ever believed
My review


I have such differing opinions about this book. When I first started the book I was intrigued, Then annoyed, then shocked, then annoyed again! Bianca first came across as your typical teenager dealing with typical teenage angst. Then she got whiny and kind of pathetic. I get what love at first sight is, I've experienced it. But I never thought, like Bianca did at one point: *open sarcams*"Oh, there was a spark here. I guess we are dating."*end sarcasm* . And then there was kind of an explanation for why that was but it was still slightly infuriating.
Then I got hit in the head with a baseball bat of a twist. I actually closed the book and yelled "What the HELL!?" that's how intense it was. And then a few pages after that and "HOLY CRAP!" There's another one! I was thrown for a loop twice in a matter of a few pages. I still don't know if I liked it or not. 
Bianca came across as very whiny but overall the book was good enough for me to want to keep reading the series and that is a good thing.

Things I liked:
  • The story
  • The setting- I love the eerie-ness of Evernight Academy
  • all the mysteries surrounding Evernight, Mrs. Bethany and Black Cross
Things I didn't like:
  • The insta-love. In this book it wasn't very smooth. Kind of annoying.
  • How whiny Bianca got... UGH!
  • The dramatic (downwards) transformation Lucas went through from the first half of the book (hot and in control) to the second (sad and sappy)
Favorite Character: Patrice/Bianca
Least Favorite Character: Mrs. Bethany/Bianca

2 comments:

Kimberly @ Caffeinated Reviewer said...

new follower. from #FF @booktalksweets.
I love a book that makes me crazy like this.
http://kimbathecaffeinatedbookreviewer.blogspot.com/

Amber Skye said...

I agree, the setting of Evernight Academy was a definite plus. Not to mention Lucas' good looks :) But this one wasn't my favorite of the series. The third book is the best by far, in my opinion.

Post a Comment

I'd Love to hear what you think! Each comment makes me smile! So go ahead and comment your heart out! :-)